Go deeper into the history of each park with scholarly articles and essays from Oxford University Press, freely available for the centennial year.
Missions and Other Colonial Churches
The San Antonio de Valero mission church in the center of San Antonio, the first in the entire Southwest to be secularized (in 1793), had a second life from 1803 to 1825 as the chapel of a Spanish/Mexican cavalry unit transferred from a place called Alamo. This led to its new name as the Alamo, made famous during the Texas Revolution of 1836. Both Espíritu Santo and the Alamo are now state historical sites.