Go deeper into the history of each park with scholarly articles and essays from Oxford University Press, freely available for the centennial year.
Derby Street, running parallel to Salem Harbor, establishes Salem's connection to its historic past as one of the most important ports of the federal era (1760–1820). The Capt. John Turner House (1668), also known as the House of the Seven Gables, was restored by Caroline O. Emmerton in 1908. The Witch House (1675) owned by Jonathan Corwin is a typical Massachusetts frame colonial house boasting three frontal gables, a deep porch and overhangs with pendant drops; it is one of the few remaining houses directly linked to the 1692 Witch Trials overseen by Corwin who was a local magistrate.