Go deeper into the history of each park with scholarly articles and essays from Oxford University Press, freely available for the centennial year.
A colonial American military stronghold. Named after General John Stanwix, the fort was an important defence point and trading centre located between the Upper Mohawk River and Wood Creek. It fell into disrepair after 1763, but was rebuilt at the beginning of the War of Independence. Fort Stanwix is chiefly remembered as the site of the signing of two treaties with Native Americans in 1768 and 1784, in the second of which the Iroquois ceded their territory in Pennsylvania to the US government.